2.5.17

April AE COM

Our stunning component for Aprils Art Element component of the month was provided by our wonderful leader Jen Cameron of Glass Addictions and is this STUNNING lampwork bead....


This bead is just....well words don't quiet do it justice, every angle you tilt it you get a different colour and then there are areas where (like a window), you can see into the bead and there is an opal like shimmer inside or a little patch where it is golden! So, yeah I guess I was a little in awe of this bead and if I was not up against a time limit it is properly the kind of bead I would hoard, never quiet having the confidence to use but occasionally taking it out to stroke! 

But the challenge was to use it and so my first idea was to wire wrap it so that it had a beautiful wire bail and lots of lovely swirls but, my wire wrapping is not as good as I would like so that did not work! Next I decided to dig through my other hoarded beads to see what I could pair it with....


I really liked these components together and was going to have a wire wrapped bead cap darkened with liver of shulpher to bring the black down onto the headpin but then when I added bail ideas it was just getting too long, and was not working so I had to try again.....


My next try was going to have a small silver ammonite (made months ago as a practice in delft clay casting) soldered onto a pin to make a headpin and then I was going to go from there but the ammonite was too thick and it would not sit right against the bottom of the bead, so I made it into a small charm and wired a selection of matching beads together, But this image of a pair of dragonfly wings sitting behind the bead making it look like a little dolly/child popped into my head and I could just not figure out how to make it, so try, try again....


This time I decided that the only way I could stop thinking about those wings was to change the direction of the bead and make it into almost a chocker length necklace, now I like the over all necklace but feel very much that I ran out of time and it needs more! I want to add a couple of silver set stones or fossils and I can't get the image of wings out of my head so I may just rip it all to pieces and figure out the wing design!


I do how ever love the colours!


I wish I could show you it being worn but my model is not available and selfies are very much some thing I have not yet mastered!

I do hope you will join me in (glass of wine in hand) in checking out what everyone else has created 

Guest Designers:
Art Elements Team:





No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts